Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Practice vs. Practical


I normally don't take the proper time on this here blog to post any sort of useful knowledge or insight. I think I should try to change that up a bit. I am still pretty lazy about posting, but I am going to try and be less so :)

Today I want to write about Practice vs. Practicality


Currently I am working on taking my base body (Pictured in the post below) and turning it into a super buff or "Hulked" out version (Pictured with this post).

I have plans for two new character projects. I am keeping them a secret for now :P

Both of these projects will be using this base body as a jumping off point, and I may use this base body for another character after that. This is not cheating! This is being practical. I find now a days I don't have the time to make art the way I used to. Not because I don't want to. But I work full time, I enjoy hanging with my friends, getting married, etc etc. While its always good to practice and do things from scratch for personal work, I find that just isn't always practical. I finish less new art, and I learn less over time. By recycling, tweaking, using almost done things as jumping off points for other things, I find can be more creative than starting from scratch on everything. While I won't use this base body for every piece of art going forward, I at least now have a tool for making a few complete pieces. If you find yourself not having as much time to create something new, take something else and work with it to get something together in a minimal amount of time. This may seem obvious to some, but the reality is. Practice is good, practice makes perfect. But practice doesn’t always finish a new piece of art. For that, sometimes we just need to be practical.

No comments: