Wednesday, December 7, 2011

RAGE Mutant







It's been quite awhile since I updated this blog, or even had it open to the public. I have decided it is about time to open it back up and allow people to see what I am working on. I can't promise to update often, but I can try to at least update! :) That being said, I am working on a mini character that can fit in RAGE. The idea was to use Bobo the Seal's Demon SDK as the base mesh and build something that looks like it could belong in RAGE. It has since grown a bit beyond the original SDK, but Bobo needs credit for the base mesh none the less! haha. (Links provided at the end to his work)

In these images you can see some of my process for personal works. I usually have a rough idea in my head that I flesh out in the 3D process. I sometimes do paint overs or concept things I like, or am unsure of. However, mainly I try to design in 3D for mini projects like this. I let the cahracter take on a life of its own and find itself. I do make sure in the initial planning phase though to block out everything I think I want represented in just basic shapes or primitives. I can get an idea of balance and where it's headed. If I can say anythign about character or design its this. Don't be afraid in your personal work to gut something and do something different. If it isn't working don't just force it cause you want it. Make sure it makes sense. Make sure it fits your goals, keep it simple, and most of all if you know something should be cooler.... make it cooler! haha. I will be re-visitnng the tire shoulder pad as it doesn't look cool enough anymore compared to the rest of the piece.

You can also see I am blocking out his presentation base early with representative shapes. It's good to think these things out early, it keeps the piece fresh and gives you a clear idea of where you are going to end up. I still have quite a bit to do on this guy, but he is coming along nicely and I am having fun!

Bobo the Seal links:

Website: http://www.bobotheseal.com/

Where I got the SDK: http://jseamanart.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/bobo-the-seal-demon-sdk/

No comments: